Friday, August 10, 2007

'What's Wrong with America?'

The best question at the recent Democratic AFL-CIO debate was from Steve Skvara, a retired steel worker.

Mr. Skvara's question in its entirety:
"After thirty years with LTV Steel I was forced to retire because of a disability. Two years later LTV filed bankruptcy. I lost a third of my pension, and my family lost their health care. Everyday of my life I sit at the kitchen table, across from the women who devoted thirty-six years of her life to my family, and I can't afford to pay for her health care. What's wrong with America, and what will you do to change it?"


It's more of a question to the American people than to the candidates. What's wrong with us when a man who devoted his life to a company and was a productive member of society gets thrown out like a used tissue. I don't think that's right. Do you?


No comments: